(Fwd) Walhalla State Fish Hatchery Red Crossbills

Carolinabirders,

The following is a note sent to me from a friend in GA.

Lex Glover
Lugoff, SC
(803) 438-9855
bglvr@clemson.edu

I went to Walhalla State Fish Hatchery this morning (10/11/99) to see
the crossbills.  I was there for over an hour (~10:00) before the first
few flew over the parking lot as I was leaving.  After that, I stuck
around for a for a while and a flock of six flew over and briefly landed
in the pines behind the residence near the trout ponds; one male stayed
long enough at the top of one of the pines for me to grab my scope and
study it for a few minutes.

There was also one male crossbill at Burrell's Ford, on the South
Carolina side of the river.  The bugger flew from a pine near the
bridge, but stayed on the SC side and never did cross the river into
Georgia.

Jim Flynn
Cumming, GA
jflynn@america.net