Re: Heron lecture

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Jill Froning wrote:

>    For those of us intimidated by parking anywhere
> north of the Chatham/Orange Co. line, could you please
> send me directions from 15/501 N to the door of the
> building, including where to park??

Parking is a little complicated, as anyone who attends or works for Duke
can tell you. The Bio Sci building has its own lot; this lot is open to
all in the evenings but restricted to permit holders in the morning and
afternoon. The gate goes up and lets non-pass-holders in at some time
between 3 and 4 PM. If it goes up relatively early on Monday, say 3:45,
it should be no problem. If it doesn't go up until 4 on the dot (or
later), people may have to park elsewhere and walk; there is a metered
lot very close by, but it's often pretty crowded. Pay attention to the
signs, Duke is all too eager to enforce their parking regulation and
gouge visitors for money. Otherwise, there are some lots on LaSalle
Street where it comes onto campus south of Erwin Road which have gates
that may go up earlier, or you can park off-campus on one of the unpaved,
unofficial lots or at some local business where you might get dinner
later and walk from there.

Directions are easy. From 15-501 north, take the 751 exit and turn right
(east). Go past the traffic light at the "T" intersection with Erwin
Road, then turn left (north) at the next intersection onto Science Drive.
Go through a traffic light at the intersection with Towerview Road. The
first parking lot on the left is the Bio Sci lot, with a gate that will
hopefully be up when you arrive. If not, continue up the hill and check
the parking lot on the right, which is metered, then walk back down to
Bio Sci. The lots on LaSalle are most easily reached by returning to the
intersection with Towerview, turning right (north), right again at Erwin,
and right again on LaSalle.

Good luck,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose