Re: Hummingbird feeding

Hi Charlie (and c-birders),
Studies of wintering hummers in the southeast have generated evidence that
these birds subsist mainly on insects and nectar from sapsucker wells.  It
seems the feeders just allow us to see the birds that were probably always
here anyway!  A hummer probably could not subsist on sugar water for any
viable period of time (the nutrition just is not there), yet we have many
records of hummers that winter successfully for multiple years.  I know of
one hummer on the coast that has returned for at least 3 years in a row!
The migration urge of a hummingbird is just too great to allow a single
point source of food (a feeder) to keep the bird from migrating.  Note that
many of the wintering hummers are not Ruby-Throats, the "normal" eastern
species.  If the feeders kept the birds from migrating we should see
wintering Ruby-Throats, instead we see cold-hardy species such as the
Allens/Rufous.  These birds are well suited to temperatures that many would
consider extreme for hummingbirds.  I've seen Anna's happily feeding,
preening, and carrying on in near freezing temperatures in Nevada (and in
NC for that matter!).  While I think that concern for our feathered friends
is always well meant and well placed, I think we can enjoy the rare and
lovely winter hummers without too much concern for their health.

Comments welcome!

Regards,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC