Hummingbird feeding

With temperatures now in the low 20s in much of the Carolinas I am wondering
about the affects of hummingbird feeders on the health of birds that, in the
absence of feeders, would have moved on to tropical or subtropical climes
earlier in the fall.  I'm no expert on hummers, but it seems to me that
feeders should have been taken down weeks ago and those that are still active
up to this cold weather must now be kept active until spring -- even if the
birds must subsist largely on unnatural foods until spring. This will require
constant monitoring to insure the feeders don't freeze during cold periods
such as this.

Charlie Thomas
Greenville, NC