Garden City area ( 12-1-99)

The report  of this morning lists some birds of note:

A. Garden City Pier

1.  northern gannet   (100+)  .about 100 yards off the ocean end of the pier
and on the south side .  Soaring about 150 feet high close to and along the
side of the pier. First time I have noticed them between the ocean end of
pier and closer to the  shore.  Very few were spiking the water but  were in
a concentrated area.

2. common loon  ( 5 )    in close to and under the pier at the ocean end.
Diving and feeding. One gave a 2 syllable call twice.....very low sounding.
First time over
several years of observing them at the pier that I have heard  one call in
the winter.

B.Indian Wells Golf Course (pond/lake) 0n north side of course off Garden
City Connector.

1.  wigeon  (28)   about the second week since they returned

2. ring-necked duck (2)

C.  B.P. Pond ( Pond/lake  is located on the west side of 17 by-pass beside
the BP Gas Station .....where the Garden City Connector  intersects Rt 17
By-pass)

1. hooded merganser  ( 2 )

2. Ringed-neck duck  ( 10 )   3 male  and  7 female

3.Grebe, pied-billed  (18)

4. Ruddy duck ( 11 )