HBSP 12/11-12/12 Common Eider

Good morning all,
I made a snap decision at 6am on Saturday AM to head down to Huntington
Beach for the weekend.  I arrived at 10:00 and made for the jetty.  The
wind was blowing pretty strongly out of the north.  With waves breaking
over portions of the north jetty, I was hoping for a sea duck or two.  I
was not disappointed when I spotted a female COMMON EIDER in the heavy surf
at the north tip of the north jetty.  Although the bird was not seen, to my
knowledge, the remainder of the day on Saturday, Kent Fiala tracked down
the bird at the west (submerged) end of the north jetty Sunday afternoon.
On Sunday I had an Oldsquaw, and many Black and Surf Scoters feeding over
the submerged end of the north jetty.  These birds were best viewed from
Garden City Beach at the base of the north jetty.  Persons wishing to find
the eider may wish to try from this location as well.

Also at HBSP over the weekend:
1 Reddish Egret- jetty pool at low tide.  The bird seems to be somewhat
difficult to find at high tide.
Great Cormorants on the markers in Murrell's Inlet.
14 Piping Plovers on an overwash fan near the jetty pool.
60 Purple Sandpipers on the south jetty.  Also on the jetty were Western
SP, SB Dowitcher, Willet, Ruddy Turnstone, and Dunlin.  The SB Dow looked
decidedly out of place:-)
50+ Red Knots in various locations.

Regards,
Steve Shultz