Pee Dee NWR CBC Black Rail

Birders,

I'm sure others checking the CBC results online have wondered about the
reported Black Rail and Tundra Swans on the Pee Dee (NC) NWR CBC as Will did.
While I did not participate on the count, I did speak with Judy Walker who
reported the bird. Judy is out of town and I'm not sure any other
participants are on C-birds so I will pass on what I know.
The rail evidently flew across the road in front of their vehicle as they
drove past a wet/flooded field. The description sounds convincing ( small
size, black, dangling legs). Unfortunately the rail was not relocated after
it disappeared into the grass.
The location of the sighting is the Andrews Pond area; an area that I am
unfamiliar with. Certainly birders visiting the refuge should consider
checking for this elusive species along the road to Andrews Pond.
Several Tundra Swans usually are present on the refuge each year. I have seen
as many as 6 in a winter.
Again, these details come to me from just one of the participants. Hopefully
someone can provide better , more complete details.

Taylor Piephoff
Charlotte, NC
PiephoffT@aol.com