Re: Pee Dee NWR CBC Black Rail

As the CBC editor for the Carolinas, I will be reviewing this report later on.
Thus, I hope that the details will mention/have mentioned the length or shape of
the bill. Rails in flight don't look as large as the length in books indicate. A
Virginia Rail is only slightly larger than a Black Rail, but it is several inches
longer in books because of the extra inch or two of bill length. If the bill of
the rail was not seen, or not seen well, I would be concerned about the report,
as Virginia Rails can look very dark in flight. Of course, Soras can be confused
with Black Rail in a very brief look in flight as well, but the Virginia
definitely winters inland and is, by far, the most likely candidate of a rail on
an inland CBC. A Black Rail would be most unusual in winter inland (in the
Piedmont), if not unprecedented.

I hope folks can relocate this rail during the winter. I also hope to see very
thorough details on this most unusual report!

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.
N.C. Natural Heritage Program