Feeding

Hi folks;
I think that part of the feeding behavior of feeding in AM and PM (the
MoDo's do it here) is due to the bird's metabolism. Most seed eaters
have very large crops, and probably fill them in the morning, allowing
the afternoon for digestion. In the PM, they need to fill up for the
night. I think there is something in the Birder's Handbook (Ehrlich et.
al.) about this. It is a wonderful companion for most all the guides in
print, and has page references to Audubon, Golden, Peterson's, and a
couple of others. I use it all the time when I want to know more about a
bird than the books tell me.

--
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist