anhinga near New Bern, NC

Today (1/14/00) at 2:35 p.m. I saw a female (or immature?) anhinga
flying high over a tributary of the Neuse River.  I was standing across
the road from A&J Canvastops, near West Craven High School, between
Vanceboro and the New Bern Weyerhauser paper plant.
	The bird was identifiable by its distinctive body shape (extremely long
neck and tail), which is familiar to the observer.  A buffy neck was
apparent at first, although the bird was very high and disappeared in
the direction of the Neuse (and up?) in a few seconds.

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
Daughtry@nowait.net