Re: White-tailed Kite-Alligator River NWR

Based on all of the input I have received from others about the reported
White-tailed Kite, including sightings of the Rough-legged Hawk in the same
general area the day before and the day after the sighting, it appears
likely that the kite was actually the Rough-legged Hawk. Although both
species hover, the White-tailed Kite is a very ghostly white bird in flight,
with a slow, graceful, rowing flight. It reminds me of a large gull at
first, and then maybe an adult male Northern Harrier. I have never thought
"buteo" when I have seen one -- I've seen 30+ -- perhaps because the kite is
such a thin, streamlined bird (like a harrier).

If that is the case, could a buteo be misidentied as a kite, and vice versa?
If the bird is at a distance, I suppose it could, as Rough-legs hover, and
as the Rough-leg at Alligator River is quite pale. (Red-tailed Hawks hover
into the wind, on windy days; Rough-legs hover anytime.) In fact, the flight
mannerisms of a Rough-legged Hawk might be closer to a White-tailed Kite
(flying slowly over large open areas, then hovering constantly) than for any
other hawk that I can recall. However, the buteo tends to fly and hover
lower (often 20 feet or less off the ground) than does the kite, which often
hovers 50 feet off the ground. (Kites don't normally fly within about 20
feet of the ground; they are usually higher up, except to plunge to the
ground when spotting a prey item.)

Folks going to Alligator River NWR will still want to carefully look at all
of the raptors there -- for buteos, eagles, whatever. Large, open, weedy
fields, with wet ponded areas (that contain ducks and a few shorebirds) are
the best places to turn up unusual raptors. Maybe NC's first Ferruginous
Hawk will turn up there some day.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.