Re: Audubon's Warbler at Mattamuskeet

Audubon's Warbler probably should be written up and submitted to the Records
Committee. The public tends to take a casual attitude toward them now, because
AOU lists it as a subspecies. But -- like the Baltimore and Bullock's Oriole,
it could be split back out some day. The Committee does review highly
significant records of subspecies, anyway. There are a handful of records for
Audubon's Warbler for NC, but I don't have a number available.

Folks who are in the Mattamuskeet area ought to look for the bird. We all may
regret not doing this if and when AOU splits it back out. In my opinion, it's
a valid species and should be split back out from Myrtle Warbler. Note even
that the observers first picked it out by the different call note. The call
notes are quite distinctively different, in my opinion.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.
N.C. Natural Heritage Program