Re: Siskins....and other winter birds at feeder&a question

Yesterday it was a feeding frenzy all day non-stop,
with probably 30-40 goldfinches and 20-30 pine siskins
competing for thistle and sunflower hearts. There were
5-6 purple finches, 4 fox sparrows, Many many
white-throats and juncos, cardinals(maybe eight)
hermit thrush,pine warblers, doves, and the
occassional Carolina wren, chickadees,and titmice.I
have twelve feeding stations.Not to forget the downies
and red-bellieds.I filled the feeders(black oil,
sunflower hearts and thistle) twice during the day.
Today I have had hardly any goldfinches or siskins at
all. Still alot of action from the ground feeders. But
my other seeds in feeders hardly moved. Anyone know
why? I hear it is supposed to snow again tonight. Did
they(the big flock) just move on somewhere else? Kate

Toda
--- Psbmt@aol.com wrote:
> Today had much feeder activity, including a flock of
> Grackles which overtook
> the feeders for awhile, were at least 100 if counted
> the ones in the trees
> too.
> Also had 5 Pine Siskins for a good part of the day.
>
> 2 male Red-winged Blackbirds were new on the
> feeders.
> Fox Sparrow, 2 Hermit Thrushes and many others
> including Purple Finch.
>
> A friend who lives just off of Big Woods Rd. on
> Windy Ridge Rd. (just across
> from the ranger headquarters, reported at least 15
> Evening Grosbeaks spent @
> 2 hours at her feeder this AM.
>
> Shelley Theye
> N. Chatham Cty, NC