Pipits and snow

Hello!

I had the dubious distinction of being out and about after the snowfall
yesterday. Moore County was covered with a thick layer of white.
Interestingly, our wintering American Pipits were all over the roads!  I
suspect this was because the exposed asphalt was the only dark, open ground
they could find to forage on.  There were also about 100 in the spillway at
Woodlake (also dark and not snow-covered)!  I must have seen 3-400 here and
there, mostly as I drove along.  Unfortunately, they seemed too engrossed
in trying to feed that they would fly only at the last minute as I
approached.  By the time I returned home, I was surprised that I had not
found a few that had been hit by other cars.

By this morning when I headed out, enough snow had melted that the birds
had, thankfully, left their temporary feeding areas and had returned to the
fields.

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net