Possible Rough-legged Hawk in the Triangle

I was driving I-40 near the airport on Weds at about 4:30, and saw a large
dark hawk gliding over the road.  My first thought was black vulture.

As I drew nearer, I was struck by its long wings, ...and..I became aware of
an extensive white patch under the tail and a broad black terminal band.  I
was not able to stop, or look at it through binoculars, but wanted to give
a heads-up for people who are birding near the airport to keep and eye
peeled.  I know that one was seen there several years ago.

I was not able to detect any white shading on the wing, or a dark carpal
band, but this was a naked eye observation.

In conclusion, a possible dark morph Rough-legged hawk in the Triangle.

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com