bad weather, good birds

While the Midlands of SC received only a little sleet and some freezing
rain, it was still a terribly "yucky" day yesterday at Morris Creek.
There was a cold cold rain all day long.  The bright spot in all the rain
was the activity at my feeders.  From first light, the feeders were busy.
Each time I looked out there seemed to be more Purple Finches and Pine
Siskins.  There were Pine Siskins everywhere - at the thistle feeder, on
the platform feeder, standing in line six deep to bathe in rain puddles.
With temperatures in the mid-thirties, the Pine Siskins were bathing!
Meanwhile, the House Finches were seeking shelter from the rain under the
porch, lining up on the porch furniture and handrails.

Before the day was done, I had counted 48 Pine Siskins and 20 Purple
Finches appearing at various times throughout the day.  Several times
yesterday, the platform feeder had only Pine Siskins and Purple Finches on
it.

All in all, it was a pleasant watch even if I was stuck inside the house.

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina

	Coulmbia Audubon Society