Brewer's vs. Rusty Blackbird

Hello All,

    I had a new blackbird visit my yard today. The bird appeared to be by
itself, though a single male Red-winged Blackbird was present for comparison.
Both birds were approximately the same size. The new bird had yellow eyes and
was smaller than a Common Grackle with a shorter squared off tail. The bird
had a greenish irridescence to its back and wings. There was no rusty
coloration or purple irridescence. When I first saw it, I thought of Brewer's
Blackbird, which were common where I grew up in eastern Washington state.
However, my backyard is approximately one half wooded marsh, which would be
better habitat for Rusty Blackbirds. The bird did not stay long. Though I
watched for a couple of more hours, it did not return. Large numbers of
Red-winged Blackbirds (up to 27) were present much of the weekend. I
understand Rustys will sometimes hang out with Red-wings, whereas Brewer's
generally do not. Any opinions? Either one would be new for my yard list.
Thanks.

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC
stevepath1@aol.com