A BIG birding day

I'll bet I win the prize for the BIGGEST birding weekend:

Saturday afternoon the doorbell rang. When I answered, the man said, "Lady, there's an ostrich in your front yard!" (Sounds like the set-up for a Groucho Marx one-liner!)

I looked over his shoulder, and sure enough, there was an ostrich, big as life, looking at me and nervously racing back and forth in the snow, 20 feet away.

"Hmm," I replied. "This is a first. I wonder how you call one of these. Here boy? (whistle, whistle)?" Moments later he dashed off down a side road. A sheriff's car and police car sped by in hot pursuit. I assume he was caught and returned to the ostrich farm seven miles away.

Then all of a sudden, it dawned on me . . . I burst out laughing to my husband, Bob:

"Hey! That's yard bird number 86!!"

(Okay, okay, I know it doesn't really count, but I jotted it down in my notebook anyway!)

Martha

Martha K. Brinson
Green Level community, NC
(Piedmont area, west of Raleigh)