mountain yard birds

Hi folks!

For once ya'll got the snow and we were spared.  We already a foot or better
on the ground from last week, so we feel for you up here in Boone.  My best
snow bird of the week was a very cute and cooperative Saw-whet Owl in the
yard on Sunday.  I was able to approach within about six feet.  As luck
would have it, snowed in with no film for the camera!  There have been a few
other reports in our area in years past for winter "feeder" Saw-whets, but
no telling if they are locals moving downslope in the snow or migrants
moving farther south ahead of bad weather.  A really good yard bird
nonetheless.  Also we continue to have better than normal raptor numbers and
variety up here with Red-tails and American Kestrel continuing to be seen.
The Kestrels are a treat, we usually don't keep them all winter at this
elevation.  Also winter finches are around with reports of over 200 Pine
Siskins coming to feeders at Yonahlossee (Robin Diaz) and a regular flock of
Evening Grosbeaks at Walton Conway's on Rich Mountain.  Other reports
include widespread bu tsmall numbers of Purple Finches, scads of American
Goldfinches everywhere, and lots of the usuals at feeders.  Our water is
frozen over up here, so waterfowl have been absent since late December.

That's it for now.  If you are birding in the Boone area, call the Watauga
County Birding Hotline to report what you see at (828) 265-0198 or email me
at smalling@boone.net.  We hope to see everyone in Blowing Rock for the
spring CBC meeting!!  (Better weather then we hope)