Re: Probable Saw-whet Owl/ Saturday report, Santee area, SC

Regarding Tim and Melanie's saw-whet "sighting" -

I've worked on saw-whets in the NC mountains for a number of years, some of
them with Chris Hill, and I concur - the "whoops" and "hu-hoo's" reported
by Tim and Melanie aren't saw-whet sounds that I've ever heard, but the
description of the "whine" is definitely saw-whet like. I would, however,
be hesitant to positively id the bird the Kalbachs heard as a saw-whet --
we not infrequently get barred owls and screech owls responding to our
saw-whet playbacks.

Matthew Rowe
Appalachian State U
rowemp@appstate.edu