Wilson's Warbler in Pendleton, SC

     A male Wilson's Warbler was seen foraging in our neighbor's yard
this morning about 10:45. At 3:15pm the bird is still actively foraging
on the ground and in the pines overhead. This beautiful bird has the
typical markings; yellow underneath, greenish back and wings, and the
very distinctive black cap. Luanne made the initial I.D., followed by
Buren's confirmation after lunch.  Our thanks go to Sid Gauthreaux and
Carroll Belser who made a speedy trip over from Clemson and confirmed our
identification. WOW!
     Our immature male rufous hummingbird which arrived in mid-October
left for parts unknown Jan. 6th. We had the pleasure of watching him go
through some of his color changes before he left. He enjoyed bathing in a
fountain on the deck. The frequency of his baths increased the week
before leaving. After enjoying a nest of ruby throats last summer, it was
a unique opportunity to experience a rufous up close and in person!
     Our first Wilson's Warbler has been another gracious gift!
Sweetheart Nook in Pendleton is a birder's haven.

Luanne and Buren Blankenship
Pendleton, SC (between Clemson and Anderson)
blblank@carol.net