BLACK-HEADED GULL / RUFOUS HUMMER

Diane DelleDonne and I had some successful birding in Morehead City, Beaufort
and Gloucester, NC this morning.

The BLACK-HEADED GULL that John Fussell originally reported on 1/25/00 is
still at the Morehead Sewage Treatment facility.  I had all but given up on
the bird when a Red-tailed Hawk flushed all the gulls out of all of the
treatment tanks.  The BHG evidently had been up in one of the tall tanks, and
ended up relocating down in a lower one where I could see it (I was birding
from the outside of the facility since the gate was closed).  After about a
half a dozen tries for this species over the last few years, I finally picked
it up for my NC state list!  It is strange that the only other one I ever saw
and photographed was in Texas!

We picked up some waterfowl at the small pond behind the Food Lion in
Beaufort.  There were three Redheads, some Greater Scaup and a pair of
Shovelers. You can get nice looks at these birds because they are at a very
close range.

We headed over to some private property in Gloucester to see a male RUFOUS
HUMMINGBIRD.  This beautiful specimen was there when we arrived and allowed
me to stand near the feeder(s) and take some close photos.

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
Bcar105390@aol.com