Ruddy Ducks

Every year I have been pleasantly surprised by wintering ducks at the small pond across from Columbiana Centre mall in Columbia, which is next to my apartment.  In my 3 previous winters, it has either been a group of Lesser Scaup, Ring-Necked Ducks, or Canvasback.  This winter, for the past month or so, it has been a group of 5 Ruddy Ducks.  It between rains yesterday I got some good views of these guys, which along with a golden-crowned kinglet and a nice flock of goldfinches made for a nice break in an otherwise nasty day.

Steve Tracey
Columbia, SC
steventracey@sprintmail.com