Wake waterfowl

I got a chance to census the local waterfowl sites this morning.  Most spots
were rather easy to do since they were frozen and had no birds!  West Lake (both
ponds), 1010 pond, NCSU Dairy, NCSU settling ponds, and Greenview are all
covered with ice.  It appears most of the birds have moved over to Lake Wheeler.
Wheeler still has a few acres unfrozen.  Noted were Green-winged Teal, Hooded
Merganser, Pied Billed Grebe, Canada Goose, Canvasback, Ruddy Duck, Scaup sp,
American Wigeon, Mallard, Bufflehead, and N. Shoveler (rather funny looking
walking around on the ice).  From the numbers and species, I am guessing that
these are the birds from Greenview, West Lake, and NCSU Dairy.  No sign of the
Tundra Swans.

The Dairy Farm had just a few birds hanging around the bare spots.  Pipits were
not hard to find as they picked about on the dirt road near the barn.

Have a safe weekend,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC