A theory....

...on the apparently skewed sex ratio of Purple Finches at feeders:

We sometimes have a couple of dozen or so P. Finches at our feeders.  Generally, the adult males are
few compared to the "females".  However, on close inspection with binoculars, a sizable minority of
the birds have a distinct pink wash in the areas where the mature males are raspberry-colored.  So I
propose that most of the birds are first-year, and that the sex ratio is closer to 50:50 than it
would appear.

Other thoughts/info?

Janine Perlman
Hillsborough, NC