Wild Turkeys by the score

Hi folks,
    Here in the remote high mountains of NW Ashe Co., NC, we have many
Turkeys. It is very easy to walk the woods and meadows any time of the year
and encounter large flocks. But, we have never been able to lure them to our
feeders during the winter. However, that has all changed this winter. They
are now common daily visitors feeding on bird seed and cracked corn we put
out for them. Yesterday we had 13 scratching and feeding in the 12-14" of
snow we have on the ground. Today, as I write, there are 22 birds wandering
around feeding on the scattered seed as well as perched in the Sumac shrubs
and picking at the snow-covered berries. It is a truly amazing site to see
such large birds in such large numbers.
    Other winter visitors of note right now include: Evening Grosbeaks
(15-20), Purple Finches (10-15), Fox Sparrows, White-Breasted Nuthatches,
Crows (20-30), as well as the usual assortment of common winter visitors -
Juncos, White-Throated Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Jays, etc. Still looking
for the first Pine Siskins in 3 years.
                                                Ron Joyner
                                                Oldapple@fastransit.net