YELLOW-NOSED ALBATROSS

I just returned home from a pelagic trip run by Brian Patteson today out of
Hatteras, NC.  This trip was originally scheduled out of Wanchese, but was
relocated to Hatteras because of the weather forecast.  Thank god it was,
because .........

We had phenomenal looks at a YELLOW-NOSED ALBATROSS!!!  My understanding is
that this bird is a first North Carolina state record, and only one of a
handful for North America.  Many photographs were taken by numerous
observers.  I will be sending my 25 or so slides off on Monday for
developing.  My adrenaline is still pumping!  One of the most unbelievable
things about this bird was that it was in sight of land (approximately 3
miles off shore).  That makes me want to get my Kowa scope back out to do a
sea watch.

Other highlights included multiple GREAT SKUAS,  RAZORBILLS, NORTHERN
FULMERS, RED PHALAROPES, BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, ICELAND GULLS, LESSER-BLACK
BACKED GULLS, and one each of LITTLE GULL and GLAUCOUS GULL!

I am sure Brian will be publishing all the official species and numbers, but
I wanted to get the word out about the YELLOW-NOSED ALBATROSS!

Brian has another pelagic trip out of Hatteras in a couple of weeks.  I
highly recommend it if you are not already signed up, to do so!  Obviously
there are no guarantees, but this will probably be your best opportunity of
ever seeing a YELLOW-NOSED ALBATROSS in North America, let alone North
Carolina.  You can reach Brian at (252)986-1363, or access his web site at
http://www.patteson.com/.

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
Bcar105390@aol.com