Common Goldeneye at Beaver Lake in Asheville

Esther and I spotted a male Common Goldeneye at about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at
Beaver Lake in Asheville.  We observed it from the two boardwalk overlooks
in Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary, but it was closer to the new (south) one.
The bird appears to be in transition from eclipse to breeding plumage.
Head looked brown but it had bright white spot size of a silver dollar
under the (golden) eye. Sides were a bit motley rather than bright white.

Directions: From I-240 in downtown Asheville, take US 25N (Merrimon Avenue)
north for about two miles.  After you pass an Ingles supermarket on your
right, go beyond the commerical buildings on your left and look for stone
gate posts.  Lake is directly west from parking lot.  You can also drive to
the far end of the lake, park, and walk the edge.  A scope would be helpful.

Cheers

Len Pardue, Asheville, NC