Woodcock at Anderson Point Park

Woodcock are in full courtship at Anderson Point Park, just east of
Raleigh. At least 5 courtship grounds can be observed from one central
location, and great looks can be seen of flights and cackling chases.
The park is, however, in the midst of conversion via the development
associated with its Master Plan. Much of the open meadow area has been
scraped by bulldozers, but the Wake Audubon chapter is working and
trying to convince the Raleigh Parks Department to restore and manage
some wildlife meadow areas at Anderson Point. We've gotten some support
from the Raleigh Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, the NC Wildlife
Resources Commission, and Wake Soil & Water. We hope to work out our
compromise by April. In the meantime the woodcocking is great.
To get to Anderson Point...take 64 east from the Raleigh beltline toward
Knightdale.
Turn right on Rogers Lane, just before you would cross the Neuse River.
Take Rogers lane until the pavement ends, and park along the road. Walk
on the gravel road as it crosses the railroad tracks, and follow the
gravel road up to a small tobacco barn. There is a recently constructed
cinder block retaining wall along this road...it provides a great seat,
and you'll be in the middle of the action. Bring a flashlight, and boots
cause its muddy. I'd like to hear of your visit.            John
Connors, Raleigh