C. geese

Hi everyone,
I was surprised last night at about 8:15 to hear C. geese flying over my
house and honking noisily. Is it natural for them to fly in the dark? Is
this migratory behavior?

Here at my office in RTP, the black vultures are again planning to do
the nursery thing on the top of our 2-story building, as they've done
for the 2 years I have been here. All week, they've been circling low -
sometimes 6-8 of them. Yesterday, there was some quite aggessive-looking
behavior between several of them, with one or two seeming to chase off
another. They hunker on the roof edge, watching us as we walk to our
cars. Last year, one would sit by the front door, pecking his reflection
in the glass. It's a bit spooky to walk by these large black birds!

Happy birding,
Carol Williamson
Durham, NC
carolw@sandler-recht.com