ducks??

Howdy!

Joe and I have returned from 2 weeks in FL and SC (families and birding). We
visited Florida Audubon's Center for Birds of Prey in Orlando that Van's Bald
Eagle email talked about. They're doing a great job renovating the center to
make it better for the birds. For several years we've adopted two birds as
gifts for friends.

We birded Merritt Island NWR and only saw 6 species of ducks!

So, my question is are the ducks still at Lake Mattamuskeet? How about Lake
Gaston or Lake Kerr?. We birded there last year on President's Day and had
nice looks at Common Loons.

Speaking of loons, we watched a loon eat a stingray at Merritt Island!! That
was unexpected!!! There were also 300+ Northern Gannets, most were adults.

It was our first trip back to FL since moving to Raleigh 2 years ago. We
decided we like NC better!!! I love the trees and Chickadees!! It was fun to
see the FL birds and birding friends though! Seeing gnatcatchers, Painted
Buntings, and catbirds at Everglades NP reminded me they'll be flying north
to the Carolina's to breed soon! The Roseate Spoonbills, egrets, and herons
were in their beautiful breeding splendor!

We spent 3 nights on Hilton Head Island on the way home. I renamed it
Yellow-rumped Island because they were all over!!! Lovely place to bird and
visit!!! Sea Pines Forest Preserve is wonderful with different habitats to
explore. Birding around the island in different areas we saw Red-throated and
Common Loons, Red-breasted and Hooded Mergansers, American Oystercatchers,
Ruddy Ducks, and Lesser Scaup.

I was very disappointed to miss CBC in Beaufort. Our plans were to head to FL
after CBC. Well, the snow and freezing rain changed our plans! It was fun to
show our family and friends pictures from Raleigh's 20.3" of snow!!!

So, it's nice to be back. The Carolina Wrens appear to be looking to nest
soon!

Again, let me know where to find ducks and loons.

Happy birding!!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh