Ducks

Had some good ducks here in Henderson County yesterday (Sunday) at a marsh
along the French Broad River (private land so no directions).  Included were:
Mallard - 30 to 40
Black Duck - 2
Northern Pintail - 1
American Wigeon - 6
Gadwall - 2
Wood Duck - 10 to 20 (they kept moving around so it was hard to tell)
Green-winged Teal - 1
Blue-winged Teal - 1
	This is the earliest in the year that I have seen Blue-winged Teal
here in the mountains.  I am planning my delayed (because of that nasty weather
in January) trip to Mattamuskeet for this weekend.  I hope there are still
plenty of ducks there.  Does anyone know?
	Also saw a flock of at least 50 C. Snipe in the field next to
VanWingerden Greenhouses on NC 191 (the big field on the right behind the pond
where all the standing water is).  This is always a good place for large
gatherings of snipe in the winter and early spring months.
Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville   email:  mjwestphal@unca.edu