Birding study

Hi.
I am a second year grad student in the Nicholas School of the Environment
working on my Master's Project.  For this project, I am writing an
ecotourism feasibility study for a site in northeastern NC focusing on
birdwatching opportunities at the site.  The site is about 10,000 acres
on the Albemarle Sound that was purchased because of the significant
red-cockaded woodpecker population on the site.  I was hoping that you
might be able to give me some useful information about birding for my study.

I am specifically looking for the following information:
1. Demographics of birders in NC or the Triangle.
2. Number of birders in the region/state.
3. What birders are looking for in a birding site.
4. How far are birders willing to travel to a site?
5. Is the red-cockaded woodpecker a special bird to see?

Are there specific site conditions (trails, no trails, other wildlife,
acccessibility) that also matter to a birder?   Do you always bring your own
equipment or do some birders rent equipment?

Also, if anyone knows of any papers, etc. that have been written about the
subject of birders (I am concentrating on birders that travel to birdwatch),
that information would be helpful as well.

Thanks for your help.

Cris Fiori
cwf1@duke.edu
Durham, NC