Santee Coastal Reserve on 2-25

Hi Carolinabirders,
	This morning Paul Rogers, Gary Phillips and myself met Gifford Beaton Sr &
Jr at the Santee Coastal Reserve in Charleston County, SC.  We birded from
8:40 to 2:30.  The Beatons had to leave about 11:45.  I was amazed at the
birding skill of the younger Beaton who really knows his bird
vocalizations. His good ears and eyes added a number of birds to our day
list which numbered-73, including one real good bird considering the date.
	I will apologize in advance for the outdated order and nomenclature of the
list. I used the "Birds of the Santee Coastal Reserve" checklist which is
in need of revision.
Pied-billed Grebe-8
Double-crested Cormorant-2
Great Blue Heron-3
Little Blue Heron-2 an adult and immature
Great Egret-5
Louisiana Heron-2
White Ibis-6
Mallard-2
Black Duck-2
Mottled Duck-2
Gadwall-25
Pintail-2
Green-winged Teal-20
Blue-winged Teal-25
N. Shoveler-12
Redhead-2 seen by Paul only
Ring-necked Duck-1
Lesser Scaup-15
Bufflehead-15
Ruddy Duck-40
Turkey Vulture-3
Black Vulture-1
Red-tailed Hawk-2 1 was an immature
Red-shouldered Hawk-1 by the younger Gifford only
Bald Eagle-2 one was an immature
Marsh Hawk-6
Osprey-2
Am. Kestrel-1
Am. Coot->200
Killdeer-3
Greater Yellowlegs-10
Lesser Yellowlegs-8
Dowitcher sp-2
Mourning Dove-8
Belted Kingfisher-1
Common Flicker-1
Pileated Woodpecker-3
Red-bellied Woodpecker-6
Hairy Woodpecker-1 heard only
Red-cockaded Woodpecker-4
E. Phoebe-5
Blue Jay-5
Common Crow-3
Fish Crow-3
Carolina Chickadee-3
Tufted Titmouse-5
White-breasted Nuthatch-1
Brown-headed Nuthatch-10
Carolina Wren-1 heard only
Mockingbird-3
Gray Catbird-1 heard only
Brown Thrasher-1 by the younger Gifford only
Am. Robin-5
Hermit Thrush-2
E. Bluebird-1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-5
Solitary Vireo-2
Yellow-rumped Warbler-abundant
Yellow-throated Warbler-1 heard singing by the younger Gifford
Pine Warbler-numerous
Common Yellowthroat-3
Red-winged Blackbird-15
Boat-tailed Grackle-3
Common Grackle-40
Cardinal-2
PAINTED BUNTING-1 heard singing. Given the date it is probably an
overwintering bird. Couldn't get to see it because of an intervening ditch.
Am. Goldfinch-1 Gary only
Bachman's Sparrow-15 all singing birds heard not well seen.
Dark-eyed Junco-8
Chipping Sparrow-numerous
White-throated Sparrow-10
Swamp Sparrow-4
Song Sparrow-2

	"Don't forget sometimes you have to look up"

Jack Peachey
Conway,SC
ppaw@sccoast.net