broken wing display

  This isn't exactly usual C-birds fare, but others may find it as
interesting as I do:

  Most C-birders know the broken wing act Killdeer do when threatened. I
have a pet lovebird doing the same display! In certain circumstances she
runs in circles on the floor holding one wing up and chirping hurtfully when
wanting my attention or sympathy (she is jealous of a younger, newer
lovebird in the home)!  I find it fascinating that a psittacine bird
hand-raised in captivity for many generations and never exposed to the wild
would even have this behavior in its repertoire. Bird behavior is full of
surprises!

BTW, has anyone seen ANY further followup to the Ivory-bill 'sighting' news
reported here a few wks. back???

**Rob Gluck    Chapel Hill    thrush@hotmail.com