Coastal SC, 2/27-2/28

We spent the weekend in the Myrtle Beach area combining birding and general
enjoyment of the warm weekend.  The highlight of the trip actually occurred on
the way down.  We spotted a group of 20 turkeys including 2 toms between Dillon
and Mullins.  This area is usually pretty birdy, but we didn't expect to see
turkey!

The Horry County landfill showcased thousands of gulls, but we could not find
any of the white-winged birds reported earlier.

Another highlight was seeing Gary Phillips' male rufous hummingbird.  This guy
is a beaut!  He gave us a nice long look while sitting on the feeder.

We visited Huntington Beach Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Things were
quite slow bird-wise.  I've often found that the numbers and "quality" of birds
are inversely proportional to the temperature during winter.  This weekend was
no exception, we did not even have a Louisiana heron!  I'll have to check my
records, but I think this will be a first for us at HBSP.  I guess the most
uncommon birds were the great cormorants at the jetty, but even these are pretty
much guaranteed.  Nonetheless, a slow day at HB is better than most anything
else I can think of!  We did spend some time studying scaup in the mullet pond.
These birds threw us for a while.  The heads showed a nice green gloss, almost
made me think of a bunch of mallards.  The heads were smoothly rounded; greater
scaup right?  Nope!  The birds came back the other way and showed a bright
violet sheen on the head.  Once the birds dried stopped diving the feathering on
the head revealed that nice little peak of a lesser scaup.  The birds finally
flew and revealed the truth, lesser scaup.  So, green head does not the greater
make!  I also found a color-banded Dunlin along the salt causeway.  I reported
the bird to the BBL, but if anyone knows who is studying Dunlin, let me know and
I'll notify them directly as well.

I thought I had my Eastern Screeh Owl yesterday.  An owl box in an open, but
secluded, portion of the park had a little brown face peeking out.  It was a
squirrel.  It looks like I may hit 400 without having a screech owl.  Shameful I
know.  Does anyone know of a reliable spot around Raleigh to see these guys?  I
think my neighbors are getting a little tired of seeing me wandering around at
night with a tape recorder and a flashlight...

Have a great week!
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please