Ticks and birds

I have feeders and water in my yard for the birds and enjoy watching and
trying to identify birds.  Feb. 29th. I found a purple finch dead in the
yard.  It had large, swollen ticks on it's head and face and other parts of
its body.  Today I noted a junco sitting on a feeder not moving and went to
check it.  Before it flew I saw a large swollen tick on the side of it's face
near the beak.  Is this something that ordinarially happens?  I've never seen
anything like it.  Should I clean out my feeders and stop feeding them for
awhile?  Please advise.  Jessie Pearson ,  Wilkes county, N.C.  Boomer
community.
RufusMtn@aol.com