Okay I lied, kinglets and other stuff

Once again I suggest that you look at your regional CBC data.  Although the
GBBC results show you have half as many kinglets as last year, the CBC data
would suggest that you started out the winter with half as many as the previous
year.  I only had time to check a few count circles in the Raleigh/Durham/CH
area, though, and I only checked the kinglets so I don't know what the trends
are for the other birds, but maybe you have the time to look at it if you're
sufficiently bored with the slow late winter birding.
	Speaking of slow birding, I finally got my trip to the Outer Banks and
Mattamuskeet in last week.  The weather was great, so the birding wasn't too
good, especially on the coast.  Shorebirds were few and far between.  There
were lots of Tundra Swans around, but the only Snow Geese were on Pungo
 (thousands there).  I used the J Fussell book on birding coastal NC and would
highly recommend it for anyone planning a trip to the coast.  The directions
are incredibly accurate and the information is very thorough.  I only wish
those darn Barn Owls that he talks about on Okracoke would have been more
cooperative.
Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville, NC   mjwestphal@unca.edu