Watauga Birds

Hello everyone,

Spring continues to progress here in the High Country, just a little slower
than the rest of the state.  Our first crocuses are blooming and the mixed
flocks are singing their little hearts out.  Killdeers are back in good
numbers her with several flocks of 15 or more widespread around the county.
Bob Cherry reported a probable Pine Warbler yesterday and yellow-rumped
warblers were numerous at the Valle Crucis Community Park.  Turkey Vultures
are being seen again in good numbers.  We lost most of them during the bad
weather in January, but they are slowly showing back up.  Woodcocks and
Snipe are also being seen but no reports of displays yet, despite some
serious looking by a couple of folks.  Wood Ducks, Mallards, and Canadas are
about it for waterfowl.  It has been a very slow winter since our open water
was frozen over for more than a month.  Bufflehead and an injured
Ring-billed Gull were still at the Lees McCrae pond in Banner Elk on
Wednesday.

Don't forget the CBC meeting in May and also the Grandfather Mountain
Birding Weekend is Saturday and Sunday that same weekend (May 6,7).  Hope to
see you all there!!

Curtis Smalling
Ecos of the Blue Ridge
828-265-0198 Watauga Birding Hotline