binos

just thought I'd put my 2 cents in on bins.  When looking to spend my tax
refund ,I looked into the binos and read all articles i could find.  I
wanted a pair light, all purpose, waterproof, and tough and be my binos for
life. I called the ABA to ask about the Zeiss and Leica and the sales person
mentioned that the Swarovski was several $100s less, and the 8x30 met all my
above criterion.  I have hefted the 10x50 and they are too heavy for me to
carry all day and too big for my hands which aren't the smallest.  The sales
person stated that she felt the optics were almost as good at the Zeiss and
Leica.  I felt that since i bird mostly from my house, go on one big trip
per year that they were worth a try.  I have been very happy with the
Swarovski.  They have pop up eyepieces, and are tough as the strap
disengaged and the bins fell about 8 feet with no damage.  The focus wheel
does take some getting used to as you use your ring fingers but that is the
only negative I have.  I forget the actual price but it was around $800 and
was 2-3 years ago.
Barb Brooks
Hillsborough, NC