Re: Optics

Good points made here by The Appalachian Naturalist.  I have several relatives who are 'sorta birders', which means  they bird when I'm around 'cuz they feel they have to.  We birded together a few weeks ago in Arizona, and My sister and I pooled our resources to gift them with solid, low-end bino's to make the trip more fun.  We chose Bausch & Lomb Natureview at about $100 a pair from ABA.  Very good image, rubber armored, good eye relief, close focus to 12 feet and not too heavy.  With care, they'll last many years.

Hearing the "wow!'s" while they watched a male Vermilion Flycatcher, least bittern, sora and Say's phoebe made it al worthwhile.  I guarantee they'll be out again with their affordable optics soon.

Alex Netherton wrote:

  Hi folks, if this gets through. I have been reading with interest the thread about optics. I am one of those working folks who live from paycheck to paycheck, and rarely have anything left over for kilobuck binoculars. I have struggled along for years with sub $100 binoculars, and have done OK. A few years ago, my wife and I bought a scope for a trip we made to Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee (never saw so many eagles) that cost $350. It worked quite well.I think that these recommendations might mislead folks starting out to think that they cannot bird without a $1000 outlay for binos, and a $2000 outlay for a scope.It would be nice if we tried to suggest to beginners a somewhat less expensive optics option. I know many of us have used "budget" binos; indeed, many of the birders I meet in the field are using them.Any suggestions for the beginners (and less affluent) amongst us?I realize that you get what you pay for: armor, drop resistance, better optics, etc. When I can afford them, I am buying a pair of Swarovskys, and a Swarovsky scope. But those days are probably a few days off.I have a pair of B&L 7-15x Zoom binos, retail about $150, and a B&L Discoverer scope, retail about &350. Both have served me well, and will probably continue to do so until I can get the top of the line.Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Asheville, NC