FBC Woodcock Walk---WOW!

The Foothills Bird Club had it's first ever Woodcock Walk this past Friday
evening.  It was hugely successful---both in alluring birders and in seeing
displaying Woodcocks!  The walk was held around dusk at the Wagoner Road
Access of the New River State Park in Ashe County, NC.  Led by Doug Blatny,
a ranger at the park, all twenty-two of us were in place and in prime
position for viewing the awesome courtship flights.  He knew where the birds
would start "peenting" from, where they would be flying, and how many there
would be!!!!  We had at least three birds, who took turns in their aerial
displays for about 30 minutes.  They probably would have gone on longer, but
it was heavily overcast.  It was truly a magical moment---at least for
Dwayne and I, as we've been looking for them for almost three years!

The park will be hosting another walk, for the general public, on Friday
March 17th at 6:00pm.  They would like limit the group, so call to reserve
at spot and directions if needed at (336)982-2587.  I would highly recommend
it if you're in the area!

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC