Easy squirrel/raccoon baffle

I was watching the squirrels devour another pound of sunflower seed when a voice
said "You've got to do something about this!"
Another voice said, "Yes, especially before breeding season"
You see, I've been very lucky.  We've had 5 or 6 broods of bluebirds with no
mammalian predation, yet.  But I've pushed luck far enough.
I've got too many boxes and feeders to purchase the really nice baffles from the
bird store for all the poles.  I did buy the good ones for the front yard; can't
have the neighbors protesting.  For the backyard I found a way to save a few
bucks.  I stopped by the local do-it-yourself superstore and bought one length
of 6" stovepipe, one 6" aluminum drip dish for an electric range, and a 78 cent
packet of sheet metal screws.  The stove pipe is the correct size for a raccoon
baffle (no cutting required!).
I simply bent the edges of the drip pan down, inserted the pan atop the stove
pipe and screwed everything together.  The hole in the drip pan is just the
right size to mount on the pole.  The only tools required were a screwdriver and
a pair of pliers.  (I did predrill the holes for ease of assembly) Total cost
before priming and painting: about 5 bucks.  It doesn't look half bad either!

Saving money on sunflower already,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please