Watauga Birds

Hello everyone!!

Has it not been absolutely gorgeous?  I spent a little time outside today in
Wilkes and lower Watauga and generated a list of 50 or so species.
Highlights were good numbers (12+) of Pileated Woodpeckers in the logged
over areas of Wilkes and great looks at a Red-shouldered Hawk hunting the
marsh at the W. Kerr Scott Res. dam.  It spied a little snake and got it
after a 75 foot glide to it.  Then it returned to   the ground above the
marsh, snipped its head off, and swallowed it like a piece of spaghetti.
The little snake was only about 18 inches long, but the hawk made quick work
of it.  Also fun  was the big numbers of pine warblers in full song most of
the day around the lake.  It is starting to sound like spring up here to.
The Watauga Hotline has had several calls about yards full (finally) of
Towhee's, Field Sparrows, Carolina Wrens, and Pheobe's.  We didn't have many
resident birds for most of Jan. and Feb.  Bob Cherry also called in today
with the first good waterfowl numbers at Price Lake including 2 Pied-billed
Grebes, 55  Ring-necked Duck, 20+ Scaup sp., and some Canadas.  Siskins,
Purple Finches, and Goldfinches are still widespread around the county as
well.

I also saw a differently colored  American Robin in the Triplett section of
Watauga County.  The bird appeared to be a male except for his throat, upper
breast, and left side of his head up to the eye and ear region.  These areas
were bright white.   I have seen some albino robins, but never one
"splotchy" like this one.

Also, the report of the Rough-legged Hawk in Ashe is a good one.  One other
was seen a few years ago on the Grandfather Mountain CBC.  If Jim Keighton
sees this posting, have any others ever turned up at Mahogany Rock during
migration?

Happy birding

Curtis Smalling
Ecos of the Blue Ridge