Houseguests

Hi there,

Last night I was in bed at about 11PM, and I heard a funny sort of chirping sound. I thought it was the computer, so I got up and made sure everything was shut down, and went back to bed. About 30 minutes later I heard it again, and this time it was accompanied by a scratching sound.

It sounded kind of like water moving through pipes, so I went into the bathroom and made sure everything was turned off tight. Kept hearing the sound. I tracked it to the bedroom window, and looked around, but didn't see anything.

So I grabbed a flashlight and mop and went out onto the patio to look around, and the sound started up again. It was coming from behind the wooden shutters next to the bedroom window. So I shone the light in, and found I have acquired some guests. Little brown bats, two or three of them, roosting in the tiny crack between the shutter and the bricks.

They quieted down after I shone the light on them, so I just let them be and went back to bed. But they were still there this morning. I think I'm just going to leave them alone, unless the noise becomes a nightly thing. They aren't doing any harm, and are actually good to have around to take care of bugs.

I'm not going to tell the landlady about them, because she'll freak and call out the exterminator. But if they do turn out to be a problem, I think I'll just close the shutters for a couple of days and put up a bat box as an alternative roost.

All I can say is, I'm glad I don't have a belfry. :-)

Lisa
lisabirder@aol.com
Raleigh, NC