Eurasian Collared-Dove expansion in SC

I noted with interest John Fussell's observations of the expansion of
Eurasian Collared-Doves in the Morehead City area.
CarolinaBirders should know that this species is exploding in South
Carolina. It is downright common in some areas along the coast (such as
Sullivan's Island and Folly Beach), and is not unexpected anywhere in the
Coastal Plain of South Carolina.

In the Columbia area the best place to find Eurasian Collared-Doves is at
the parking lot of the Columbia Metropolitan Airport, where the birds have
been present for years.

On 5 March 2000 Caroline Eastman and I observed a ECD at the intersection of
SC 560 and Bush River Road, between Clinton and Newberry, at the Laurens -
Newberry County line (DeLorme Atlas p. 25, H-8).  The bird obligingly flew
from a perch in Newberry County across the road into Laurens County, so we
got a County Ticks Two-fer (two county ticks from one bird).  This site is
well up into the Piedmont, which implies to me that, within three more years
the Eurasian Collared-Dove will be established in every county of the state.
Watch for this species at your feeder. They're coming soon.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com
803-782-8870