The Starling Wars

During this rather dull birding season in Raleigh, I amuse myself with
projects to outwit the starlings at the suet feeder.   Vain hope.

I covered the top of my suet feeder with balsa wood - the starlings
simply hang upside down like wood peckers and empty the feeder a bit
more slowly.

Following a suggestion in Birders World, I hung the feeder from a spring
which causes it to bob up and down as well as spin - the starlings sit
on top and spin a while before feeding.

While pondering my next move, I noticed the yellow-rumps, brown thrasher
and sparrows collecting under the suet feeder and scarfing up the scraps
falling from the starlings work.   At least someone is learning from all
this.
--
Claudia Egelhoff
American Cancer Society-Southeast Division