voyeuristic birding, et.al.

  Incredibly, for third week in a row I saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks
mate today. This was a pair with nest along Bolinwood Greenway near Franklin
St. Are red-shouldereds especially randy or is it just my impeccable timing
?!!
  Other tidbits: yellow-throated warblers are singing and posing at
Stagecoach Rd. (Chatham Cty). Blue-gray gnatcatchers were also on Bolinwood
Grnwy., as well as foraging male pileated I watched all winter but whose
nesthole I can't now find. And haven't seen UNC female barred owl for last 3
days so she may be on nest.

  and some miscellany:  for the few who might be able to make this, Alan
Feduccia (who argues rather persuasively that birds DID NOT evolve from
dinosaurs) is speaking at 3:30 Tue.3/28 at Bullshead Bookstore on UNC
campus, and excellent new book by Chris Cokinos on extinct birds is out,
"Hope Is the Thing With Feathers" (including Carolina Paroquet, to make it
pertinent to C-birds!).

**Rob Gluck     Chapel Hill     thrush@hotmail.com