Seven Warbler Species in the Foothills!

This morning while I was at work, Dwayne was out birding (I know, what else
would he be doing?)!  He first visited Lookout Shoals Lake where he had our
first Yellow-throated Warbler of the year.  It was singing and foraging in
the very same cluster of trees where we had our first one last year . . .and
the year before!!!  There were lots of Pine Warblers singing and lots of
Yellow-rumps flitting from tree to tree.  He also visited Riverbend Park
where he saw 1 Osprey, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers, 15 Double-crested
Cormorants, 10 Wood Duck,s  and a Tree Swallow.

When I got home around noon, we headed for South Mountains State Park in
Burke County.  The State Park is actually less than 15 miles from the
Catawba County border---but seemingly more due to the drastic change in
habitats.  We were hoping for some early migrants-----and boy did we find
them!  Just seconds after turning onto the road to the park, we heard our
first Blue-headed Vireo!  Lots more was in store!  It was absolutely
BEAUTIFUL there today---with all the birds singing, the flowers blooming,
and the butterflies sunning and nectaring, you'd thought you were in heaven!
Here is our bird list and wildflower list:

Blue-headed Vireo 5
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Northern Parula 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 2
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Dark-eyed Junco 8
Pileated Woodpecker 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
American Crow 5
Turkey Vulture 8
Eastern Phoebe 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
Pine Warbler 2
Carolina Wren 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Wildflowers seen along the High Shoals Falls Trail included:
Halberd-leaved Violet
Round-leaved Yellow Violet
Giant Chickweed
Wake Robin Trillium