Re: Greenview; and Sierra Club web help (fwd)

Hi C-birders,

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Tom Lorenzin wrote:

> Where, pray tell, is Greenview Pond? County?  Nearest city? If you're going
> to post to a listserve as you have done, please give all of the members a
> chance to know where it is that you are reporting from.

This is the same Greenview Pond about which various people have been
posting for several months now, and for which driving directions have
been posted more than once. It is in Wake County south of Raleigh, just
off Penny Road after it crosses Lake Wheeler. Among its other merits, it
used to be the only reliable place in the Triangle for Loggerhead Shrike.
It's less reliable at the Pond proper now, but one can usually be found
in the neighborhood somewhere nearby...

I am surprised, given the local popularity of this spot, that noone has
written it up for our listowner's Triangle Birder's Guide at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/index.html

Meanwhile, back in the yard, the raptor population seems pretty healthy.
While the Red-shouldered Hawks have not been in evidence since their big
display a few weeks ago, I now suspect that Cooper's Hawks are nesting
nearby; pretty much any time I spend more than an hour in the yard
lately, I hear one or two of them calling. Yesterday morning I spotted
one when I followed some chickadee alarm calls into the woods. Don't want
to seek the nest too closely until after I'm sure the chicks have
hatched... A Barred Owl is still hooting at all hours of the day and
night, I hope that it doesn't mean he is still looking for a mate at this
late time of year! And last night around 3 AM, while grading a stack of
essays for John Terborgh's Tropical Biology class, I opened a window and
heard a low-pitched Great Horned Owl call, followed by a higher-pitched
version; a mated pair somewhere out there, duetting in the night. Now if
I could just convince some Eastern Screech-Owls to move into the
neighborhood...

On a different note, the Sierra Club is looking for help with their web
site on the Million Acres Initiative, which will hopefully provide us
with a million more acres of publicly accessible birding sites. Or at
least a million more acres of worthwhile bird nesting habitat, from which
birds can disperse to accessible sites, our backyards, and so on... They
need help in the next day or two, so if you can lend a hand, do so soon!

Good birding,

Josh

> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:38:05 -0500 (EST)
> ------------------------------------
> From: Mary Kiesau <mary.kiesau@sierraclub-nc.org>
> >
> > I'm looking for someone who could work with us over the next 1-3 days to =
> > design a web page for the million acres postcard.  Do you know anyone =
> > who would/could be interested and available?
> > I need help quickly.   Thanks.   =20
> > - mary
> > Mary Kiesau
> > NC Sierra Club
> > Challenge to Sprawl Campaign
> > Ph:  919-833-8467
> > Fax: 919-833-8460
>
> ---------------------------------
> Here's a bit of background on the Million Acres plan, from an
> earlier email announcing a meeting in March.
>
>  >Background:
> 	As you may be aware, Governor James B. Hunt of North Carolina has
> asked the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to come
> up with a plan for acquiring or otherwise protecting one million
> additional acres of land in North Carolina for conservation purposes. The
> Governor has requested that this Million Acre Plan be submitted to him by
> March 31, 2000.
> 	DENR has requested help from the
> Environmental Finance Center at UNC and the Institute of Government in
> quickly convening some of the key stakeholders to give input on the
> drafting and process for refining the plan. The forum on March 10 will be
> DENR's first formal presentation of their principles and approach to the
> Million Acre initiative.&nbsp; This will provide a chance for interested
> persons to ask questions directly of Secretary Holman and his staff,
> before they finalize and present their plan to the Governor.<

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Zoology

jsr6@acpub.duke.edu